Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Beginning

So when we started our Etsy store, my husband wanted to name it "Leather and Lace".  I told him that it sounded like some sort of S&M store, and we settled on "LARP Essentials" instead.  Win for me.  =)  We started the store last summer some time (I could look and find the actual date, but I'm lazy) and I'm only just now starting to look at our crafting as a second job.  It's a good second job to have.

I thought, when we started, that the store would be more successful than it's been.  In a way, it has been, but not in the way that other Etsy stores are.  We sell occasionally on the site, but more often our orders are coming from people within our little LARP community.  Not good for our numbers on Etsy, but good for business.

It's strange to me because I always had these skills (though I have grown in leaps and bounds in the last year or so), but our friends didn't know that I was willing to craft for them until we started the store.  Or maybe it would be more accurate to say that not all of them knew that my skills were for sale.  Now I have orders scheduled out for a month or two and am spending nights and weekends happily sewing for them.  It's a good problem to have.  =)

I'm hoping to use this blog as a way to document my projects, especially those custom orders that don't make it  onto our Etsy page.  I want people to be able to see the kinds of things I'm working on, what I'm capable of, what I'm working at figuring out, new ideas and techniques I've learned or created, and I want to be able to look back in a year and see how far I've come.      

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! You make quality stuff, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make, roomie--@-)

    ReplyDelete